Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A new book

I started reading a new book last night that I picked up on Amazon (while shopping for OPK's).  The book is, The PCOS Diet Plan by Heather Wright, M.Ed, RD.  So far it is a little technical for me but I only read the first chapter (it took me about an hour to get through).   I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I did receive a diagnosis from my RE of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or PCOS.  It was discovered after some routine bloodwork, medical history, and vaginal ultrasound.  I have since realized how common it is, *sigh of relief.   PCOS is the most common female hormonal disorder and the primary cause of infertility.  It affects about 10% of all women during their reproductive years.  The symptoms I have enjoyed include irregular periods, weight gain/difficulty losing weight, unwanted hair growth (this one is the best!), acne prone skin, and, the reason for this blog, difficulty getting pregnant/infertility.  Having PCOS also puts me at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes.  So... I am going to try to limit my sugar and carb intake in hopes of losing some weight, controlling the condition, and hopefully increasing my chances of a BFP (another Bump message board reference which stands for Big Fat Positive).

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about getting that book too. I hope it helps - Good luck this cycle!

    ReplyDelete